Friday, February 26, 2010

The Word "No"

I hated hearing it from a young age, and now I find myself saying it a few hundred times a day probably. Not because I like the sound of my own voice but because its a necessary evil. A ten month old doesn't grasp the concept of electricity, gravity, and other laws of nature. My post today isn't really about whether I should be saying it, its about why not remove these harmful objects, until she reaches the age where can fully comprehend (or at least grasp) the consequences of her actions.

This does seem to bring about some conflict, with parenting ideologies. Some say they have to learn. Others say we need to protected our children at all costs.
Neither philosophy is full proof. If you let them learn on their own: An example I think would help here....
Ex. You tell your child no! no! no! when pulling on chords and continuously pulling out the plug protectors and insisting on playing with the receptacle. She heres no, but is still too young to understand the consequences. One day you here POP the breaker trips and your little one has a permanent Mohawk.
Ex2. You take every precaution to guard her from this danger, and when she gets older unfortunately she does not learn the dangers these things have. So she grows up with no appreciation the danger they pose, therefore has no respect for them.
Which could also leave her with a Mohawk for the rest of her life.

So whats everyone take?

4 comments:

  1. I am thinking, maybe just a small shock like from a charger of some sort?
    Maybe one of those dog shocking collars?

    LOL!

    *disclaimer to CPS, I am totally kidding*

    ReplyDelete
  2. If children don't occasionally get hurt than they don't learn. Of course we try to protect them from real danger but we can't protect them from everything.
    You will encounter the same quandary when she is older and wants more freedom...do you let her go out with her friends to a concert? Yes, she could get hurt or make bad decisions but if you never give that freedom then they don't learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We kinda fall into the "They'll only do that once, then they'll learn." I mean, with a 9 month old it doesn't always work that way. And of course there are some instances where that just isn't acceptable, like crawling down the stairs. But we certainly do not take every precaution to guard from danger. Bumps and bruises are all part of growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my kid wear a helmet, i don't want and bumps or bruisy puiseys

    ReplyDelete